I have fallen in love. It took maybe two seconds, but who wouldn't immediately adore this face?
For anyone who missed the previous pictures (which I would have appreciated Jeffrey combing through and editing a bit -- I surely look my loveliest right after major surgery!) or post, I had to take a minute to introduce:
Elisabeth Jane Merchant
Our beautiful Elsie Jane arrived Monday evening. The ease and timing and miracles associated with her birth were such a personal manifestation of God's love and care for my family. She came at just the right moment, when we had my mom here to care for Mia and Maggie, perfectly healthy and plenty big for being a month early, and without any complications.
I am once again amazed at how smitten I am with her. Even having two other beautiful daughters did not prepare me. I love her smooth, olive skin. I love her dark hair -- I have never had a baby with hair before! I love all the resemblances to her sisters and her dad -- I have yet to see much of me in that little face. I adore her long, slender fingers with itty-bitty nails on them. I can't help but just pull her close and take long deep breaths of her scent every chance I get. I like to watch her tuck her knees up to her chest and rest in a little ball -- I always marvel that only 5 days ago that little ball somehow fit inside of my body! Every time I gently rub my cheek against hers or next to her silky hair, I get a little teary. Truly nothing can be as miraculous as a newborn baby.
Plus, Elsie Jane is the ideal baby. She sleeps well, eats well, and has cried for maybe (and I seriously mean maybe) one whole minute in her little life. She radiates a peaceful spirit and captivates anyone who has come in contact with her. (I took her to the pediatrician today and had to wait an extra five minutes to see the doctor while the nurse showed her off to everyone else in the office.) She has not had even the slightest hint of a set-back or a health issue for arriving at 36 weeks. She has been nothing but joy.
Elsie Jane also has a sense of proportion. She was born one day after Mia's birthday and one day before Jeffrey's. So, for the second time in the last six years, Jeffrey received a baby for his birthday. What a way to mark the year with his three little girls.
Being barely able to get up and down, still in significant pain, and exhausted from the c-section, the energy and curiosity with which Mia and Maggie have welcomed their new baby sister is a bit overwhelming. Once again, thank heaven for daddy and grandma! Maggie needs some training in basic safety if we are to keep Elsie Jane alive and healthy with all the love and help that Maggie heaps upon her. Mia is actually quite grown-up and helpful, but they have both been exhausted and overwhelmed at my hospital stay, late night visits, and the excitement of a new baby. I trust I will again feel functional and we will figure this all out.
In the meantime, I just don't want to take a moment of these sweet times with Elsie for granted. I can't wait to introduce her to friends and family in person, but for now, this will have to do.
6 comments:
Oh Emily, she is just beautiful! I agree- in that first picture of her in the polka dot outfit she looks so much like her sisters!!
Bask in that newborn smell as much as you can. It goes by way too quickly. I am already getting misty-eyed at the realization that my baby's first year is rapidly coming to an end.
Congrats again on your perfect new addition!!
You've almost convinced me that maybe we should have another...almost....
She's beautiful. Enjoy this precious time. I can't wait to meet her.
Oh! She's just adorable...are you up for visitors because I need to hold her!
Oh, she is GORGEOUS!!! How could she be anything but beautiful. I sure wish I could hold her and love her and see her, but you will have to give her a love and tell her that her auntie loves her. She looks like both Mia and Maggie but has her own little look too. Can I say thank heavens for angel babies especially #3. I think the Lord knows that they need to have a calm, collected, love and patience about them to deal with older siblings and a very busy mom!!! We all love you so!
OH HOLY COW. She is very cute. I swear that first picture is Maggie. I love your blog entries. You write soooo well but I will have to say you still did NOT convince me that another one is a good idea for us. Not even close. I am just happy for you. Really, I am very amazed at how sweet she is. Can't wait to see her in person.
She is so beautiful. Thank you for posting these pictures of her for us to see and enjoy. Your whole family looks great. I hope we can see you sometime soon.
Post a Comment