Part I- June Begins
In the first act of my story I find myself trying to tie up loose ends and prepare for a trip. In addition to washing, packing, weeding, cleaning, stopping mail, and finalizing schedules, I:
--hold a final recital for my dance class,
--arrange flowers for a friend's wedding,
--paint and paint and paint our massive deck,
--capitulate and adopt a dog (yep, Jeffrey and the kids finally wore me down)-- Mikado "Mickey" is a 2 year-old Lhasa-poo from the shelter,
--attend the last few crazy t-ball practices and games where Mia plays and Jeffrey coaches,
--complete the Marine Corps Crossroads 17.75 K race (only 1 minute over my target time!),
--go to church, host a young women meeting at my home, host friends for dinner,
finish up a pillow Mia embroidered for her first grade teacher and cupcakes for her class, and finish packing -- all the day before our departure.
Part II- Fly Away
In this act I board a plane with a massive car seat, five bags (not including all of those we checked), one stroller, and my three children in tow. Seven hours and two flights later, we arrive in Utah. Here we:
--traverse the state (St. George, Bear Lake, Lake Powell, Salt Lake),
--learn skills (dance camp, swimming, and horse back riding for Mia, dance class and trampoline tricks for Maggie, charming -- and pronouncing the names of -- all her aunts and uncles for Elsie Jane, meditation for me),
--watch shows (Tarzan at Touachan, Toy Story III, Shrek IV, True North by the Children's Dance Theater, Kirkmount at the Scottish Festival),
--recreate (bowling, swimming, boating, fountain splashing, hiking, sand castle creating, school shopping, Thanksgiving Point, Red Butte Gardens, Park City),
--eat well (Uncle Bobby's Indian chutneys, Aunt Judy's cooking at Lake Powell, raspberry shakes at Bear Lake, BBQ at Uncle Mike's, homemade granola, and lots of trips to Cafe Rio),
--catch up with old friends (but not enough of them -- Sorry!),
--enjoy being with grandmas, grandpas, aunts, uncles, and cousins.
Part III- Re-Entry
In this act I return to Virginia after an even longer and more grueling flight with three children who have gotten enough sleep for only one of the past 35 nights, who were awakened at 5 am, who are hungry, and who have spent the morning crying over having to say goodbye. Now I:
--begin the process of grandparent detox (this is a program wherein my children act out all of their over-exhausted, over-indulged, disoriented, frustrated, sad to leave family, happy to be home, and confused about how to reconcile these emotions feelings on one another and me while I try to be incredibly patient and understanding while simultaneously being the first person to tell them "no" or really enforce a bedtime with them in five weeks. It isn't pretty.),
--unpack suitcases (including two additional, very large, ones we had to borrow to transport all of our new acquisitions home with us. What made me think it was a good idea to buy a quilt when I already had to check four large, very full bags?),
--deep clean the house (toilets don't look so hot after 6 weeks of hot, humid summer),
--decide to put off a regular schedule for a a couple of weeks,
--meet up with old friends who are in town the day we return,
--try to get the kids to bed before 10 pm,
--reacquaint with the dog that I barely know (figure out how to keep him calm, prevent him from dashing out the door and up the street anytime the door is opened, figure out his potty and feeding schedule, and try to teach the kids to remain calm around him),
--go visiting teaching,
--settle a biz-zillion sibling quarrels,
--stock up on groceries (seriously, no crust of bread no glass of milk remained),
--plan play dates,
--go to the water park,
--de-junk and reorganize almost all of my closets and craft supplies,
--weed (most of) my garden beds where the lettuce and weeds were four feet tall,
--scrub out the car,
--do church stuff (attend church, attend mutual, attend baptisms, prepare and teach lessons, host meetings, clean the church),
--take the kids to the pool,
--take the kids to the movie (Ramona and Beezus -- I highly recommend it. So rare to find a clean, well-acted family film we all actually enjoy!),
--have my car die at Costco, and in the driveway, and at church,
--get a new car battery,
--clean up LOTS of goldfish crackers, juice, and crumbs,
--get a new calling at church (Young Women's President).
Part IV- Untitled
In this act I remember again why I am still tired, haven't blogged in two months, and really need a true vacation.
2 comments:
Hilarious. But I probably shouldn't have read this at 5:00 am on the morning on which we are leaving for Utah for five weeks. I'm already tired. Glad you had a good trip and are home again.
I have been wondering about you. Glad you are back to blogging. WOW> That sounds like a busy time. But sounds fun. I love visiting with family and we had a similar trip where kids stayed up late and didn't have any routine at all.
YW Pres? PERFECT job for you. I know you will do amazing.
Post a Comment