I love giving gifts, and once I get an idea in my head, it is hard for me to let go.
But this year, I stupidly came up with all sorts of gifts that I had to personally produce.
Before I commenced gifts, I first sewed Halloween costumes and a baptism dress for Mia (see previous posts for exhibits).
Then, I sewed two quilts for my sisters-in-law, assembled a huge floral arrangement for Jeffrey's parents, and commenced Christmas dresses for all three of my girls. I came up with a pattern that involved hand smocking part of the bodice of each dress.
Then, I thought, I would also make matching dresses for their dolls.
Then, I decided to make skirts for all the girls too.
And, their dolls.
Oh, and shirts for the dolls since I could not find any to buy that I liked.
And, aprons for the dolls too.
And, new stockings (since Elsie Jane has never actually had one before) for the whole family.
And assemble, paint, and design custom closets for their dolls to keep all of their new clothes in.
And, sew little shoe and accessory holders to go in the closets.
I don't know what I was thinking!!! I don't know why when I had not started on any of the doll projects by December 6, I didn't see the writing on the wall and scrap the whole idea.
Instead I stayed up to the wee hours of the morning the two weeks leading up to Christmas to insanely finish all of the projects. (And, if I am entirely honest, it was not without a toll and a pretty decent melt down on December 22.)
I love to make things, and I loved how everything turned out. But, in the end I am instituting a rule where all Christmas gifts that are going to be made must be completed prior to October 1 or they will not be undertaken. Anything, not finished by then, will just have to be produced by Santa's elves, not mom.






3 comments:
wow emily. i am in awe. i seriously do not know how you do all that you do without totally losing your mind.
i really admire your ability to keep it all going -- even with the occasional meltdown, cause really, who doesn't need a meltdown once in a while?
i have to imagine with all that you and Jeff have on your plate right now, that there aren't some pretty fantastic blessings in store.
The dresses turned out so cute, and the doll armoire is equally adorable.
Em, I think it was worth all of your hard work. I absolutely love my quilt and the last time I was in Jenna's room, I saw her quilt on her bed. Possibly the best Christmas gifts ever! Thanks again.
Post a Comment