Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Color is Key

The goal for this year is to finish off a room a month in my new house. To get each space painted, decorated, organized and perfectly put together. January brought the completion of Maggie's room -- a space inspired by two of her favorite things: polka dots and Hello Kitty.

The amazing thing about watching this space take shape was that it was a testimony to the transformative powers of the right color of paint. Where the same bedspread, decor and accessories looked drab and unexciting against the neutral brown walls, the stark white board and batten that I installed gave the room a larger, cleaner, more airy feeling, while the perfect shade of pink added an element of fun and also light.

I am loving the final effect, which captures her personality, is clean and simple, and I think will age well with her into her older years.

Here is the BEFORE:


And here is the AFTER:

Maggie had an extra, oddly shaped closet in her room, and she had the idea to turn it into a "desk room." I love how this spot turned out for her. It is perfect for homework or working on projects,a nd then the door can be closed to hide any mess. After a fun paint job with flowers, polka dots, and chalkboard paint, it is a dreamy spot for her to sit and work.
















No comments: