Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Merchants Meet the Washingtons



One of my favorite places to visit in the Washington, DC region is Mount Vernon, home of George Washington.

On Saturday Jeffrey and I took the girls for the first time.

(Ironically, the last visit we made to Mount Vernon was also on the Saturday before Mother's Day 7 years ago when my family was visiting. At that time, Jeffrey and I were living in Arlington and working on Capitol Hill. I was pregnant with Mia, and we were trying to decide whether to move to Boston and both attend law school, stay in DC, or move back to Utah. Now, as we returned with our three children, I thought about how much our lives have changed in the intervening years.)

Mount Vernon has only gotten better since our last visit, with a fabulous museum and visitor's center, it is even more kid-friendly and informative than I remembered.

Best moment of the visit for me was being asked by the docent at the children's presentation if I home schooled my kids (which I do NOT) because they were so well-mannered, attentive, bright, and interested. Yes, my kids. Happy Mother's Day to Me!!!

Best moment for Mia and Maggie is a toss-up: chasing and feeding the lambs or rolling hoops on the grass. Seriously, who needs a Wii? Give my family a couple of revolutionary-era toys and we are good to go for hours.

We are already looking forward to our next visit.




No comments: