
1- The teeth. I recently helped at field day at Mia's school. Working with the K-2 students I established the following rule: baby teeth = kindergarten, missing teeth = 1st grade, Too big of teeth = 2nd. See picture above. As Mia would say, "I rest my case."
2- The constant narration of every street sign, business sign and other legible surface as I drive in the car. This includes the helpful habit of advising me of the speed limit and then monitoring my speedometer at all times. She can read.
3- Notes and cards. When Mia wants something at night she has taken to dropping missives down to the lower foyer. They say things like, "Mom I need hlp. Plese cum now!" She also leaves me little notes on my bed that say "I 'heart' you" and sends cards to her friends and grandmas.
4- Increased coordination. It is amazing how a few years lead to a general improvement in controlling one's limbs. Mia has taken off on her new bike, is totally steady on the roller blades she just got for her birthday, and began her soccer season by scoring three goals in the first game. Wow! She has also recently mastered whistling, snapping her fingers, and can almost do a pirouette. Cart- wheels are next on her list.
5- An unselfish perspective. In child psychology we talked about the age when empathy really begins to emerge; it is ten. But, for Mia, it seems to have always been quite innate. We visited Santa in the mall a week ago (I know it's not December, but there wasn't a line, and he was there.) Mia and Maggie informed him that they want a doll house for Christmas, but that they know they have to share it. Then, Santa asked, "Are you sure there isn't just one thing you want for yourselves?" (Thanks a lot Santa! I have been working on the shared doll house plan for a while now!) Maggie shook her head, then he turned to Mia who said, "You know Santa, there are a lot of poor children in the world and kids who don't have all the toys that I do. Why don't you take something extra to them instead?"
6- Boundless Creativity. To Mia's delight almost every gift for her birthday was a craft set. She is constantly creating something: a broom from a stick and paper, invitations to a birthday party for her stuffed animal, necklaces, a zoo on the floor of her bedroom, clothes for her horse. She has learned to do basic sewing stitches, weave on her new loom, use paints responsibly, bead, and the list just goes on. Boundless and inexhaustible creativity.
7- She can't wait to be baptized. We must talk every day about her upcoming baptism when she is eight. On Sunday, on the way to a fireside that she attentively listened to and then recounted perfectly to her dad when we got home (with observations about how she could work to make more good choices in her life), Mia reminded me that we had a goal to finish the Book of Mormon together before her baptism. Oh yeah, we need to get going on that! Mia loves the gospel. She shares it with her friends; she understands the principles; she recognizes the influence of the spirit. And, Mia wants to do the right things for the right reasons. As a mother I could not ask for anything more.
It is so fun to see all the growth and changes that seven brings! Happy Birthday, Mia Joy!
3 comments:
OK loved this post also and number five made me cry. I think you have a very special daughter. I LOVE it when kids think of others rather than themselves and how amazing at such a young age. I am very proud of Mia. Ok gotta get a tissue now.
well Brianna is in 1st grade and she is missing teeth so your theory stands! That's great about the empathy. I'll need to write the age 10 on my fridge!! It's so neat how excited these little ones are about baptism. Brianna is the same way! Happy Birthday Mia!
Oh Mia, how we love you! We sure miss you but think about you often. We hope you had a wonderful birthday!
Post a Comment