Monday, March 8, 2010

Thawing

I have not written for a long time.

I have been barren, empty. Like Sarah's womb or the fruitless twigs standing tall and empty outside my window, I simply could not produce. There was nothing to give.

My life and my energy have felt buried deep under the frozen ground. And, try as I might, I could not breathe life into the stark cold.

Then, this morning, the sun broke through. The snow had melted, the bitter wind no longer howled outside my door. There was warmth.

I ran in the sunlight, noticing in my heart the smallest buds on barren branches, green shoots pushing through the dead, brown ground.

And, I felt again the promise that far beneath the nothingness is a new life, a glorious flowering of hope, a creativity just waiting to spring forth.

1 comment:

Jer, Er and kids said...

You paint such a vivid picture. i really like this post! The thaw means closer to when I get to see you!!!! I can't wait. i love you!