Monday, September 13, 2010

Where I Have Been

I have fallen off the electronic world. I have had no presence here. Summer just did me in. Having all my kids at home is just busy and crazy. The time really flew by. We did not do half the things I had planned. We had a lot of playdates with friends, visited the waterpark, took swimming lessons, did some activities at home, but so many of the outings and projects I thought we would get to never happened. Oh well, there is always next year, I guess.

In addition to taking care of the kids, taxiing them around and entertaining their friends, I have put a lot of time into getting organized with my new church calling. I have had meetings, made phone calls, sent emails, and organized activities, including and 4 ½ mile hike with the young women.

I also worked on a few projects to get organized before school started. I fixed up my basement so I can teach dance down there. I moved all the craft and art supplies and all my dance supplies into the cupboards and shelves there. I organized and moved all of my sewing supplies out of the way. I built some hooks for art smocks and art work, installed a barre, decorated the walls, sewed streamers and made rhythm sticks. (Pictures to follow) It turned out great.

I also tackled my laundry room. I painted the walls, and built this cubby system to help organize everyone’s stuff: school bags, jackets, church bags, dance bags, purses, etc. Everyone now has their own section of bulletin board for their papers and their own cubby and hooks. So far, it is a huge improvement. I organized the rest of the closet space in there and created another organizational space, right in the kitchen, for the things I frequently use and get into. (Again, the pictures will come later)

I got all the papers in the office filed. I typed up a schedule for the year and a menu for the next month. I reorganized the girls’ closets: packing up really summery clothes and pulling out their school clothes.

Then, Jeffrey gave the girls blessings -- even Elsie Jane sat perfectly still for hers (she walked around and was noisy during the other girls’, but still)– it was so sweet; we cleaned the whole house, power washed the outside of the house, pulled weeds and cleaned up the yard, and hosted a big back-to-school BBQ, and it was officially time for the school year to begin.

I am not quite sure that I was quite ready for school this year. Emotionally, I mean. I was physically prepared, and I am definitely ready for more structure in our lives. It seems like everything – finances, meals, schedule, exercise, reading, cleaning – has been unpredictable and irregular for the last six-seven weeks since we returned from our trip to Utah. It really is time for more order. Yet, despite the fights and the quarrels, the crazy days and lack of schedule, I am a little sad this year for summer to come to an end. I feel a need to find more ways during the school year to create fun times and one-on-one moments with my daughters. Especially, Mia, who is getting so grown-up. I wanted to do so much more with her, and I hope that I can make some times even during school.

1 comment:

Jer, Er and kids said...

You have accomplished so much!!! I wish I had everything as organized and ready as you do. I feel like I can't quite get on top of things right now. Hopefully it will come. You are amazing at all you can accomplish and do!!!