Monday, November 15, 2010

Let the Wild Rumpus Begin!




This is my favorite phrase from Sendak's classic, Where the Wild Things Are. Every year it runs through my head as the end of October approaches. Because from this time until mid January (when Maggie's birthday and company depart) is Wild Rumpus Season at our house.

Constant Parties. Constant Chaos. Constant Fun. Very little down time.

First, Halloween.

I helped out with the celebration at Maggie's school, raced home, donned my Princess Belle costume, and taught lots of costumed little girls dance on Thursday.

I helped out at the Fall Festival at Mia's school and took the girls on an outing on Friday.

Saturday, we went to the ward trunk-or-treat. (Jeffrey and I reused our costumes from a previous year, going as a witch and a wizard. Apparently, I make a good witch because several people [including our bishop and one of the girls in my dance class] did not recognize me! I did not get any pictures of all of us, though.)

Sunday was the official holiday. We had a simple dinner, but a pot full of bubbling cider and dry ice can always provide LOTS of excitement. Given it being a Sunday and the lack of kids in our neighborhood, we delivered cookies and cards, rather than really "trick-or-treating." Don't worry, the kids were not deprived. We still have candy around the house from Halloween; including some of the nearly two pounds that my friend tried to let the girls bring home.

Monday and Tuesday were days off school. Since the holiday had gotten away from us a bit, we rounded it out by using these two days to complete our celebration: carving pumpkins and having a "mystery meal" for the kids. Mia loved the mystery meal and trying to outsmart Jeffrey and me by figuring out what everything was in advance. Maggie, on the other hand, was so turned off by the fact that I called her spaghetti and alfredo sauce "brains with ghost slime" and her dyed breadstick with a slivered almond on the end a "witch's finger" that she would hardly eat!

Part I of Wild Rumpus Season lasted 6 days.

With Halloween down, it was time to move on to the next events!

No comments: