Thursday, April 8, 2010

So many blogs, so little time...

I have all these ideas for things to blog about running around in my mind, but finding the time to sit down and get them written is hard! Sometimes I am just too busy. Sometimes, I have time, but I don’t feel like writing. Sometimes, I am just too distracted.

I have had a harder time channeling my creative energy into this direction lately. I have wanted to paint something, build something, sew something, do work with my hands that yields more tangible results instead of writing.

But, the crazy thing is that even when I do those other things, I have this nagging need inside of me to sit down and write.

Writing is actually the creative process that I find the most fulfilling. And, naturally, it is also the creative process that I find the most intimidating.

I think it is because if I sew something and it doesn’t turn out, oh well. I wasted my time.

But, if I write something, it is much more personal. It is deeply connected to who I am. So, if my writing is a flop – if it is misunderstood – if it is mediocre – then, my sense of failure is much greater.

So, I put off the writing. It is the one task I promised myself I would devote time to every week. Ideally, every day. But, in avoiding rather than facing my own insecurities, I let it be at the bottom of my to-do list. I delay.

Then I have a stock pile of unwritten ideas, a backlog of concepts that I wanted to explore in writing crowding my mind. They push forward periodically, urging me to sit down and try to form them into words. I push them back, making excuses about time and energy.

But, since we are a quarter of the way through the year, and I am re-resolving to work on my 2010 goals that have been being put off for three months (I know, it is pathetic, but better late than never, right?), I am going to try to release some of the many blogs that keep pestering my consciousness.

So, if you are a regular reader of my blog, but my more standard once every one to two weeks frequency is about right, I apologize. You are about to be inundated. Just remember, you don’t have to read everything I write. Go ahead, skip a few. I am doing this more for my own peace of mind than your enrichment anyway.

But, if one of the many things itching to get out of my mind and onto the e-page makes you think, amuses you, or interests you, let me know. Who knows, maybe I will forsake slacking off and write more on the subject in the future.

No comments: